Monday, August 31, 2009

Dear AB and BC,

(As a child, I thought love was AB and BC. When they held hands in 1980s Madras, I melted into a puddle, even as I overanalysed the scandal. And when they hold hands now, after many many years of cannotlivewithouteachother marriage, it reminds me that there is hope for happily ever afters.)

I have been meaning to write you both a note for awhile now. But you know how this is : I think sappy thoughts and I think them some more but between the thinking and writing, I find a clinical reason not to send it. But meeting you for a little bit last week was exactly the impetus I needed.

As always : fabulous milestone with the [work] and I have no doubt this is just another start. You are both such great examples to follow and to see people come back and make a difference (and a real, accessible difference at that) successfully is exactly what we need in this generation to prompt us to return and do our bit(s).

What is more, as personal mentors, you are both the perfect blue print for aspiration. Every time I see you both, I remember the larger goals : those checklists that usually take the no-priority back seat when you are busy collecting degrees.

I remember the important stuff when I see you two : keeping in mind the people that matter (usually, old friends and invisible ones that actually make the difference), being generous with your home and your heart, being respectful of each other without it turning into benign platitude, being madly in love.

And why am I writing to you now? So you know that you both give me hope. So you know that even when I do not keep in touch, you both have helped me write and rewrite my priority checklist. So you both know that you have played an important part in my fighting hard at the right things, letting go of the ones I had to, and knowing (in difficult measure) the difference. So you both know that when I think of the kind of love that holds and heals, shapes and saves, I think of yours.

It is true, like you said to my pre-teen self. What else is there to fight for?

x


No comments: